Go Back   LiquidNinjas.com - Overclocking, Liquid Cooling > Liquid Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs
LiquidNinjas.com Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Sidebar On

Old 12-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Farabomb
In love with Deb

Old LN ghost needs advice

It's been a long, long time guys. Life and things put computers on the back burner but the woman started the itch again when she said "what else do we need" after I installed my xmas gift of a 6Tb drive...

My computer is still working fine and is on 24/7 sitting behind the TV making all my other devices I have plugged in obsolete. I figure here is my first place to stop for recommendations.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, I want to not have to upgrade anytime soon, I want intel and honestly that's about it. I will need RAM, CPU, case, video and MB... and whatever else I missed/don't have a clue about.
ASUS Maximus Formula SE w/ Rampage BIOS
Intel Core Duo E6850
2x HIS Turbo Radeon 4850 512
6G Corsair Dominator
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
1x Samsung 256 SSD
1x Seagate 1.5Tb SATA
1x Seagate 2Tb SATA
1x WD Red 6Tb SATA
Lian-Li PC65B
Corsair HX620W PSU
Media Faptop:HP DV7-1240US Went kaboom
Netbook:HP311 mini still works, badly.
00 silver RS Daily driver, 95 EJ205 powered Impreza L Time Trial car, Crewchief for AZP BRZ spec 86 cup car. Don't ask my opinion on cars, I might be slightly biased.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Farabomb
In love with Deb

So as I'm looking I see there are lots of new and nifty things I have no clue about. Lanes and pipes, M.2 slots, hell I don't even know what the current RAM is. I've always loved ASUS boards but a look at THG doesn't show a one. I know ASRock is their budget brand but I was expecting at least one ROG board on there.

Chipset: I see that the z170 is the only one that has OC enabled. I'm not presently OC my system now but I know full well if I don't have the ability, I'll be pissed that I can't. I see there is a x99 chipset but after looking at the prices, yeah no I don't think I need that.

M.2: Should I be concerned with this? SSD I have seems to be plenty fast enough but see above about not having something and wanting it.

CPU: Yeah, I'm lost here. Too many code names; I can figure out 7 is better than 5 but do I really need it? I still have my AMD 64 hat somewhere but I knew even on my last build that Intel is where it's at.

GPU: Yeah, I'm not even going to attempt to know what I'm talking about. I have 2 Raedon 4850's with a total VRAM that's less than a new budget card. They're old like me but they still worked fine for Bioshock that I just finished. Yeah, I'm thinking about a new gaming rig and I finished Bioshock 2 days ago. I'm not proud. My intent is to build something that will run newer car sims. This really started when I bought Project cars without reading the minimum specs. Again, not proud.

Water or not to water? This question normally only comes up when I'm staring at my garden. I'm presently happy with the noise my aircooled system is producing and since this build will be parked behind my TV I won't be seeing it often. Still doesn't change the fact that it's on my mind. I'd also like to see if I can't make it prettier than Synth's rig. I recently spent half a day redoing my system, tucking cables and making it look good on something I can't see. That cat might when the shithead climbs behind the TV but for some reason it bothers me to have a messy box. My house is a wreck and every corner hides enough fur to make another dog but I have to have a tidy case.

Speaking of cases; I haven't even begun to check them out. Knowing how much I've paid in the past I have to keep that under control. I'm buying a house, have to drop a new engine into one of my cars and a new car is on the horizon. I have to keep costs somewhat in control and I also have a new factor I haven't had on previous builds. The woman. She normally suffers my shit with a smile and I've found that having something sparkly in that amazon box tends to curtail her wrath but I'd rather not rock the boat too much. This is a little bit her fault seeing as she asked, what else can we do to upgrade the computer, after installing my 6Tb Christmas present. She doesn't know the pandora's box she opened and if the new build has the 6Tb drive, it's still upgrading the computer... Yes, I have to work on that argument a little.

So, that's basically the situation. I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. I'm aiming for best bang for the buck with some future upgrades in mind. I have more than enough hobbies/addictions with my RC toys, full size racecars, car builds and culinary tastes. The woman is okay with all of them up to a point. I need help to become current and figure out what I need and what can be for the future.

Thanks for reading an I'm glad to see LN is still up and the old guard is still keeping watch.
ASUS Maximus Formula SE w/ Rampage BIOS
Intel Core Duo E6850
2x HIS Turbo Radeon 4850 512
6G Corsair Dominator
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
1x Samsung 256 SSD
1x Seagate 1.5Tb SATA
1x Seagate 2Tb SATA
1x WD Red 6Tb SATA
Lian-Li PC65B
Corsair HX620W PSU
Media Faptop:HP DV7-1240US Went kaboom
Netbook:HP311 mini still works, badly.
00 silver RS Daily driver, 95 EJ205 powered Impreza L Time Trial car, Crewchief for AZP BRZ spec 86 cup car. Don't ask my opinion on cars, I might be slightly biased.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
WackyComputer
dɯnɥɔ ʎɹǝuɹo

I'm so far out of the game. I do my computering on a $60 Amazon fire tablet.

I know people use https://pcpartpicker.com/ a lot. Maybe that will help you.